Spongebob round cakes

I've been asked to make a sponge for a birthday - something I've never done before but have been meaning to do for a while now. I started off wondering just how hard it could be; I've had cake fails in the past, but mostly when I've been inventing a recipe. Then I read this article and started to think perhaps it wouldn't be as easy as I had thought. This group certainly has some strong opinions on just how a sponge should look and taste.




Anyway, I got up early this morning and gave it a shot. I'm happy to say I got two beautifully risen sponges that tasted pretty good for a first effort.

Here's the recipe I followed:

Coffee Sponge

4 eggs, separated
pinch of salt
1/2 cup castor sugar
1 tspn coffee essence
1 cup wheaten corn flour
1 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 tspn bicarb soda

Method

Preheat the oven to 175 Celsius. Grease and flour two 20 cm sandwich pans. Sift together the flour, cream of tartar and bicarb three times, incorporating as much air as possible. Beat the egg whites with the salt until foamy. Gradually add the sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks form. Slowly add the egg yolks and coffee essence. Fold the flour in to the egg mix, being careful not to lose any air from the eggs. Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes until the cake has come away from the sides of the pan. Cool in pans before inverting. Sandwich with whipped cream and ice.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
food hits and misses 2012. Powered by Blogger.

Foodie favourites

Topics

afternoon tea (22) baking (43) breakfast (4) cake (26) Christmas (12) dessert (24) fish (5) gluten-free (5) jam (3) lunch (1) morning tea (6) preserves (3) quick (2) seasonal (1) side dish (3) slow cooker (2) snack (3) soup (6) special occasion (1) summer (3) vegan (9) vegetarian (15) winter (2)

Shop for cookbooks

Fishpond