Caneles

Confession time. I sign up for loyalty programs. All of them. I know they're just a way to track spending by precisely targeted demographics, but I just can't resist the lure of a discount voucher, even when it only adds up to around 1% discount. Any discount's ok, right?

Anyway, the point of all this owning up is that I recently managed to spend enough to get a $25 voucher from one of my favourite kitchenware shops (it only took two years... hmm). Now having spent enough to get my voucher, clearly I have pretty much every kitchen gadget I need. Which meant that I had to think outside the square, and is the reason why I came home with a silicone mini canele pan. 


Caneles have a reputation of being somewhat difficult to get right, so I set to researching and found that not only was the pan supposed to be made of copper, but that I would have to grease it with beeswax. Feeling somewhat daunted, I set about using my silicone pan, sans wax. The results are delicious, with a crispy outside and chewy, custard-flavoured centre. Thanks to a little coconut oil in the pan, they even have the gloss that the beeswax is normally responsible for. Stopping at one is just about impossible; I'm super glad the recipe makes around 72. 




Caneles a Bordeaux

(Recipe based on that supplied with the Mastrad Mini Cannele Pan)

500 ml milk
25 g butter
20 ml vanilla bean paste
2 egg yolks
1 egg
250 g caster sugar
125 ml rum
125 g flour

Method

Combine milk, butter and vanilla. Bring to scalding point, then allow to cool until lukewarm. Meanwhile, whisk together the egg yolks, egg and caster sugar, being careful not to incorporate too much air. When cooled, slowly add the milk to the egg mixture, stirring well to combine. Add the rum, stirring through, then the flour. Stir well to remove lumps. Refrigerate overnight. Heat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius. Grease the pan with melted coconut oil, then add the mix. Cook for 20 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 180 and continue cooking until dark brown. 

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
food hits and misses 2012. Powered by Blogger.

Foodie favourites

Topics

afternoon tea (22) baking (43) breakfast (4) cake (26) Christmas (12) dessert (24) fish (5) gluten-free (5) jam (3) lunch (1) morning tea (6) preserves (3) quick (2) seasonal (1) side dish (3) slow cooker (2) snack (3) soup (6) special occasion (1) summer (3) vegan (9) vegetarian (15) winter (2)

Shop for cookbooks

Fishpond